Do you participate in “Meatless Monday”? For those of you that are meat-eaters, it can be good to mix it up and remove meat from your meals every now and then. They say that going meatless once a week can be good for your health and for the health of the planet. With the abundance of vegetarian and vegan blogs out there, it’s easy to find a yummy recipe with lots of filling protein to have a meatless day of eating.
Tofu is an awesome meat alternative. Our meatless Monday dinner was a Tofu Power Plate filled with tofu, egg, sweet potato wedges, and cauliflower rice.
Here are the recipes! Note that all of these are to be split between two people.
Pan Seared Tofu
- 1 Package Extra Firm Tofu
- Tandoori Seasoning
- Olive Oil
- Prep the tofu. Slice the tofu into 1-inch thick pieces. Lay pieces flat on a paper towel. Then cover with additional paper towels, press lightly, and soak up excess water. Let the tofu sit in the paper towels for about five minutes while you prep the other items.
- Grab a large non-stick pan. Spray with cooking spray.
- Spray the tofu pieces with cooking spray and generously coat with tandoori seasoning on both sides.
- Cook the tofu over medium heat for about 5-6 minutes per side or until browned.
Simple Sweet Potato Wedges
- 1 White (or orange) Sweet Potato
- Salt & Pepper
- Olive oil
- Cooking Spray
- Pre-heat the convection broiler or set the oven to 450 degrees.
- Slice the sweet potato into thick wedges.
- Spread wedges on a baking sheet drizzled with olive oil. (I always line the baking sheet with aluminum foil for easy cleanup.) Generously sprinkle salt and pepper on the wedges. Use your hands to toss up the wedges in the olive oil and seasonings.
- Bake in the broiler for 10 minutes OR if the oven is set to 450 degrees, bake for about 15 to 20 minutes.
Cilantro Spinach Cauliflower Rice
- 1 Package Frozen Cauliflower Rice (I used Whole Foods Brand)
- 1 Bunch of Fresh Chopping Cilantro (about the size of your palm)
- 1.5 Cups Spinach
- Salt & Pepper
- 1/2 Lemon (juiced)
- Olive oil
- Grab a medium size pot and drizzle with olive oil. Add the frozen cauliflower rice. Cook on medium heat with a covered lid.
- Lift the cover frequently to stir up the cauliflower.
- Once most of the ice is gone, add salt, pepper and lemon juice. Stir it up.
- Once almost cooked through, add chopped cilantro.
- Cook for another couple minutes.
- Turn off the burner and add the spinach. Gently fold it in with a spoon.
- 2 Eggs
- Non-stick Cooking Spray
- Use the same pan you used for the tofu.
- Spray with non-stick spray. Add the eggs – try to separate them enough so they don’t stick together.
- Fry on medium heat for about 3 minutes. Cook longer if you don’t want them to be very runny.
Finally, put everything together — just divide it all among two plates and eat up!
What is your favorite Meatless Monday meal?