I have another clean-eating bowl of goodness to share today! I enjoy eating seafood and certain meats, but also love incorporating vegetarian meals into my diet. It always amazes me how much protein you can get from foods other than meat… One of my favorite meat substitutes is tempeh, which has about 16 grams of protein in a standard serving. Tempeh has a nutty flavor and is made with soybeans. When I make tempeh at home, I purchase Lightlife. You can find this brand at most supermarkets.
Tempeh Nourish Bowl
- 1 Large Purple Sweet Potato
- 1 Lemon
- 1.5 Cups Broccoli
- 2 Scallions
- 1 Package Lightlife Organic Tempeh – organic (or whichever flavor you prefer)
- 1/2 Cup Plain Greek Yogurt
- 1/2 Large Tomato
- 2 Eggs
- Preheat your oven to 450 degrees or turn on your broiler. (I prefer to broil the veggies).
- Prep the veggies and tempeh. Cut the potato into 1/2 inch-thick wedges. Chop the broccoli. Slice the tempeh into 1/2 inch pieces or cube.
- Toss the potatoes in a touch of olive oil and sprinkle with salt and pepper. Broil the potatoes for 6 minutes on a cookie sheet. A tip is to line the cookie sheet with aluminum foil to reduce clean up time. (If baking on 450, you will need to bake for about 12 minutes.)
- Remove the potatoes from the oven and flip the wedges over. Set aside some room on the sheet for the broccoli. Spray the extra room with nonstick spray and add the broccoli. Sprinkle with salt and pepper. Put the cookie sheet back in the oven for another 4-5 minutes. (If baking on 450, bake for an additional 8-10 minutes).
- While everything is broiling, add the tempeh to a frying pan that is coated with nonstick cooking spray. Sprinkle the tempeh with garlic salt or other seasoning of choice. Spray the top of the tempeh with cooking spray and cook on medium heat for about 4 minutes per side.
- Chop the scallions and slice the tomato. Put aside.
- Zest and juice the lemon in a small bowl. Then add the greek yogurt and mix it all up.
- Crack the egg and place in a small glass bowl. Cover with a paper towel and microwave for 35 seconds to create a “runny” egg. Then repeat for the second egg. Put these aside.
- Once everything is done cooking. Arrange in a bowl. Add the runny egg and chopped scallions last. Then top with a dollap of the greek yogurt sauce.
What’s your favorite way to enjoy tempeh?