I could eat breakfast for every meal. Eggs, oats, pancakes, toast, fruit…they are my favorite foods. Greg and I try to make breakfast for dinner every couple of weeks to keep things interesting, and tonight we tried a play on Eggs Benedict.
Portobello Eggs Benedict with Blueberry Pancakes
- 4 Portobello Mushroom Caps
- 4 Large Organic Eggs
- 1 Tomato
- Spiced Sliced Turkey Breast (I used Boarshead from Publix)
- Kodiak Cake Mix
- Handful of Blueberries + Other pancake toppings (syrup, jam, peanut butter, etc.)
- Make your pancakes. I don’t measure the mix because I like the pancakes to be thick and fluffy, so I just add the dry mix to a medium bowl and add only as much water as necessary to wet the dry ingredients. (I made a total of 4 fluffy pancakes – 2 per person). Use a spoon to cook the pancakes on low/medium heat on a large greased, non-stick pan – sprinkle blueberries on the top part while they are cooking. Flip once small bubbles start forming. Put the pancakes aside while you cook the eggs benedict.
- Using the same large greased non-stick pan, cook the portobello caps on low/medium for about 4 minutes per side.
- While caps are cooking, poach your eggs. Follow the instructions found here.
- Put the caps on your plates when they are done. Then re-grease the pan and add the turkey slices and cook until a bit browned.
- Organize your Eggs Benedict with slices of tomato on the caps, then add the turkey, and finally top with the poached egg.
- Add the pancakes to your plate. Sprinkle with cinnamon and whatever toppings you prefer. (Syrup, peanut butter, jam, etc.)
Other breakfast for dinner ideas:
- Scrambled eggs with veggies.
- Steamed kale with garlic powder.
- Kodiak Cakes – made into waffles instead of pancakes.
- Chicken sausage scramble.